According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- On any given night, more than 300,000 veterans are living on the streets or in shelters in the U.S.
- 45% of homeless veterans suffer from mental illness including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Compared with Male Veterans, Women Veterans are more likely to have no earnings or income and live in poverty
Lions of Life Campaigns for Veterans
- Coats for Homeless Veterans: Legacy Through Giving partnered with the San Mateo Lions Club collected 1,000 pounds of clothes during the 2014 Spring Festival for Humanity.
- Mailing Address for Homeless Vets: Because the homeless vets do not have an address to receive their mail, they miss important mail that can change their life; such as employment opportunities, health benefits , VA assistance and other vital documents that can take them off the street. Legacy Through Giving is working on setting up mailing addresses for the homeless vets in Northern California. Coming in 2015.